It’s the final day of Superfood Week! As we watch the Vancouver Olympic Games opening ceremonies, we made Ginger Sesame Salmon with Asparagus as the side dish.
Salmon provides you with Omega-3 fatty acids that have been linked to numerous health benefits. Salmon is high in protein, and low in calories and saturated fat. “Ocean-farmed salmon has approximately one-third of the saturated fat as lean ground beef and 50 percent less saturated fat than chicken which makes it an ideal choice for those seeking to lower their cholesterol levels.” (cwirthy.com).
Though salmon isn’t a traditional ingredient used in Asian dishes, this Ginger Sesame Salmon recipe is a great Asian twist on a traditionally western fish.
Ginger Sesame Salmon
2 salmon steaks
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup water
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon freshly minced ginger root
2 green onions, cut into 1 inch strips
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon sesame oil
Asian Style Asparagus
1 1/2 cups asparagus (cut into 2 inch strips)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 cup water
1. Pour the water and fresh lemon juice in a deep non-stick saute pan or skillet, and bring the mixture to a boil.
2. Place the salmon steaks in the water and cover the pan.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer the fish for about 6-8 minutes.
4. While the salmon is cooking, mx the soy sauce, rice vinegar and ginger together in a small bowl.
5. When the salmon is done, place it on a serving dish and spoon the soy sauce mixture over the salmon.
6. Cut the green onions into 1 inch strips and scatter over the top of the salmon.
7. In a small pan combine the garlic and sesame oil. Warm the mixture until it browns and drizzle over the top of the salmon
8. For the asparagus dish, boil the water in a skillet and place the asaparagus in the water after it is boiling.
9. After about 2 minutes, add the soy sauce to the asaparagus. Then add the sesame oil after another 2 minutes.
10. Serve and enjoy!
If you enjoyed this post, Get free updates via RSS or Email and connect with me on