Here is a great, easy, fast appetizer that you can whip up and serve your dinner guests while they’re waiting on the main course, or even as just a afternoon snack.
- Loaf of French bread
- Goat Cheese (approx. 5-6 oz)
- Salt (to taste)
- Small tomato (optional)
- Balsamic vinaigrette (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to broil
2. Slice the loaf of bread into 1 to 3/4 inch thick slices and place onto a cookie sheet
3. Spread the goat cheese onto the slices of bread. You can spread as much as you like onto the bread, I tend to like a lot of goat cheese – yum! Then sprinkle a bit of salt on each piece of bread to taste.
5. (Optional) While the bread is in the oven, dice up the small tomato.
6. (Optional) To serve, add a small bit of the tomato on top of the crouton and a little sprinkle of balsamic vinaigrette. While this is optional, I like to at least add some juicy tomatoes to compliment the dryness of the crouton.