Two great things about summer: fresh vegetables and grilling.
A few little Japanese eggplants sprouted up in our garden this year, so I got to have a little bit of fun experimenting with the pretty purple vegetable. We had a freshly picked eggplant in hand, and the husband was in the mood for something Italian… so here’s a great way to use a little Asian vegetable with a little Italian flavor.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 1 cup uncooked pasta of your choice (we used penne)
- 1 Japanese eggplant
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- olive oil
- 1/4 diced sweet onion
- 1 cup goat cheese (softened)
- 1 clove minced garlic
- sprinkle of crushed red pepper, to taste
- a pinch of salt
1. Cook pasta according to directions on box.
2. Slice eggplant and tomatoes lengthwise, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper
3. Grill eggplant and tomatoes on a grill for about 4-5 minutes, until they start to brown and soften.