I love French Toast. Ever since I saw one episode of Throwdown with Bobby Flay featuring stuffed french toast, I’ve been dying to try my hand at making some.
Today is my first year wedding anniversary with my sweet husband, Paul, and instead of trying to find a breakfast spot out here in the ‘burbs, I decided that it was the perfect day to try my hand at making some Stuffed French Toast.
My recipe was inspired by manda2177′s recipe on Tasty Kitchen. Initially, I was planning on only using strawberries, but since Paul loves raspberries, and since I had some raspberries and blackberries around the house, the Strawberry Stuffed French Toast became: Many Berry Stuffed French Toast.
Ingredients: (2-3 servings)
- 1 loaf French Bread (or Italian bread)
- 3 Tablespoons Organic Strawberry Perserves
- ½ package Cream Cheese (4 Oz), Room Temperature
- 1½ cup berries (your choice of a combination of strawberries, raspberries and/or blackberries)
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cups Skim Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- Powdered Sugar (optional)
1. This is the key to “stuffed” French Toast: Cut french bread into 2 inch wide slices. Then, go back and cut halfway through the center of each slice, this will create a pocket for the stuffing. Set the sliced bread aside.
3. Add some sugar to the cut up berry slices. Mix well and let the mixture macerate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. Doing this will bring out the juices in the berries and enhances their sweetness.
4. Add the strawberry preserves to the cream cheese and mix well with a spoon.
5. Now, take a slice of bread, add about a tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture into the pocket and then about a tablespoon of the berries. After filling the slices, gently press the opening together. This will help make the frying process easier. When you’re done filling each slice, set them aside.
6. Egg mixture time! In a pan or deep dish, mix the eggs, milk and cinnamon together. Feel free to use as much or less cinnamon as you prefer.
7. Preheat your skillet on medium high heat and melt the butter.
8. Dip each bread slice in the egg batter, make sure both sides are well coated. Then add the bread slices to the skillet.
11. Serve and enjoy!If you enjoyed this post, Get free updates via RSS or Email and connect with me on