If you’re anything like me, you tend to forget to eat your fruits during the winter months. I’m not sure what it is, maybe it’s because the cold weather just makes me want to cozy up with a hot chocolate, or maybe it’s that my favorite fruits are in season during the summer months (ah, mango – I miss you so).
This is a great, very very easy recipe to satisfy your sweet tooth, while getting some fruits in your diet at the same time.
Ingredients (serves 2):
2 pears (peeled, cored and cut into thin slices)
Arils (seeds) from half of a pomegranate
Fresh lemon juice from half of a lemon
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 tablespoon nutmeg
chopped almonds to garnish (optional)
1. Place the sliced pears and pomegranate arils into a bowl.
2. Mix and toss with lemon juice to coat the fruit.
3. Add the brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon to the fruit, toss so that the spices and sugar cover the fruit evenly.
4. Cover and refrigerate the fruit mixture for at least 1 hour before serving so that the flavors can marinate.
5. When ready to serve, scoop the mixture into individual serving dishes and garnish with a sprinkling of chopped almonds if you wish.