The weather is getting warm and it’s practically perfect to sit outside on your deck or patio with a nice glass of wine. If you’re anything like me, the only thing missing is a little something to munch on while enjoying good wine and company.
Enter the flatbread.
This is a great, quick recipe that takes only about 30 minutes to put together, depending on how quickly you slice the onions and pears. Add an arugula salad and this makes for a nice weekday dinner that is a fun change from a typical pizza meal.
Pear and blue cheese is a fantastic combination in salads, so why not try this combination out on top of some freshly baked flatbread? Here’s a recipe adapted from Eating Well:
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 20 ounces prepared pizza dough
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 ripe but firm pears, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup finely crumbled blue cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Then coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions in the skillet, until starting to turn golden brown, about 4 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, the dough out onto the baking sheet and place into the pre-heated oven.
4. Bake the dough until it is slightly puffed and turning golden on the edges, about 6 minutes. Note: Or bake the dough according to the instructions on its packaging.
5. Mix the onions, balsamic vinegar and pepper in a mixing bowl. Spread the onion mixture onto the crust and top with the sliced pears and crumbled blue cheese.
6. Place the baking sheet back into the oven and bake until the crust is crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, about 8-10 minutes.
7. Slice and serve with an arugula salad and glass of white wine. Enjoy!