Fried rice is one of my very favorite comfort foods. It’s one of the few dishes that pops into mind when I think of my childhood growing up in a restaurant family.
Here’s a recipe that’s a quick, tasty and is also a great comfort food.
Ingredients (Serves 1):
- firm tofu
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 4 shiitake mushrooms (soak in water if mushrooms are dried)
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- Optional: Two eggs scrambled.
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
1. Cut tofu block into small blocks (about 1/2 inch squares). If cooking for one, save half of the tofu for another time. Pour 2 tablespoons of soy sauce over the tofu and let marinate for at least 3 hours in the refrigerator.
2. Cook the rice in a rice cooker with 3/4 cups of water.
3. Heat the oil in a wok over medium high heat.
4. Saute the garlic in the oil for about a minute, then toss in the mushrooms and saute the mixture for another two minutes.
5. Add the frozen peas to the wok and saute mixture for about 1 minute.
6. Add the cooked rice and 2 tablespoons soy sauce to the wok and mix the mixture well.
7. Add the scrambled eggs (if you so desire) to the fried rice.
8. Add the sesame oil to the fried rice, mix well and turn heat off and set the fried rice sit in the wok for 2-3 minutes
9. Serve and enjoy!