Chinese Sauteed Eggplant | Manic Monday

by Melissa on July 25, 2011

Happy Monday y’all! I’m pumped and ready to get this week started, how about you?

The little Chinese eggplant plant that we have in our garden is finally producing some lovely eggplants.

This is a tasty dish that you can easily whip up as a main or side dish. This is an update to this post from back in Feb 2010.

I’m looking forward to a busy, busy week. I’m all ready to go – already had my 2 lattes for the morning – yikes!

Chinese Sauteed Eggplant
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 2 bunches of green onions, cut into 1/2 inch long pieces
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
Instructions
  1. Chop the eggplant up into pieces, by slicing diagonally.
  2. Cover the bottom of the wok with vegetable oil.
  3. Saute the ginger and garlic in the oil
  4. After about 1 minute add the eggplant slices.
  5. When the eggplant starts getting a bit softer (about 4 minutes) Add the soy sauce, sugar and red pepper flakes.
  6. After about 1 minute, add the green onions. Optional: reserve about 1/4 of the green onions to garnish the dish after cooking.
  7. Saute for another minute, then add the sesame oil.
  8. After another minute, remove from heat.
  9. Optional: Garnish with remaining green onions
  10. Serve with rice and enjoy!

1 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 25, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I am HORRIBLE at cooking eggplant. It’s like an oil sponge. No matter what I do in skillet, it’s like eating an oil sponge.
In the oven, it’s either watery mushy mess OR it’s raw.

You need to give me the 411 when I see you…a week from today!!!!

2 Melissa Crane July 25, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Woot! I’ll be happy to offer some tips – I’ll do my best! I think I just get lucky when cooking eggplant sometimes.

When are you getting into Boulder? We should meet up on Monday when you get into town! Paul and I will be there around lunchtime.

3 fiona August 8, 2011 at 5:48 pm

magical – i can never get my eggplants that soft!

4 Kirsten VanDerMark August 10, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I tried this, and it was soo good!

Thank you for sharing!

5 Xue June 30, 2012 at 11:13 am

Made this just now (currently eating!) to use up the eggplant I bought last night for a Mococcan eggplant salad… This tastes just how my mom used to make it! Thanks :)

6 Izrun September 26, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I made this and it was awesome. I was trying to find a use for the crazy amount in my garden. Who knew two plants could make so many vegetables. One warning, be careful when you add your red pepper mixture. I combined the soy sauce, red pepper and sugar in a bowl before adding for a while. When I threw it onto the hot wok the steam shot up into my face and made me cough and my eyes burn. My own little pepper spray. I think next time (which is tonight) I will put in the pepper flakes separately. And unfortunately might have to add less because my wife can’t handle the heat :(. Thanks for the recipe!

7 Parry Nauman February 4, 2013 at 7:56 am

Nice meal and very simple method to make delicious egg plants.,
Thanks for All

8 cindy July 13, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I have a great garden and need more veggie dishes.

9 Lisa January 3, 2014 at 5:54 pm

This is delicious! A bit too much red pepper flakes for me so I’ll halve it next time.

{ 1 trackback }