Lemonade with Blueberries & Rosemary | Mile High in Denver

by Melissa on July 30, 2011

Coming to you from Colorado today!

The view out of our hotel room in Colorado Springs.

Paul and I are out here in the Denver/Boulder area for the week. Boulder has been on my must-visit list for a while now, and when I saw that Jen Yu (use real butter) was putting together another Food & Light photography workshop, I jumped at the chance of not only getting to finally visit this beautiful part of the country, but also learn food photography & styling from some amazing photographers.

The workshop doesn’t start until Tuesday morning, so we’re going to be enjoying being tourists in Colorado for a few days. Yesterday we had a few hours to kill before checking into the hotel so we found a cute little paint your own ceramic shop. At Paul’s (fantastic) suggestion, I chose to paint a teacup and saucer.

Check it out! A Dash of East tea cup – for real!

The teacup and saucer still needed to be glazed and fired so I’ll be posting photos of the finished product (hopefully) in a week or so when it’s ready.
Update: the teacup and saucer arrived, check out the final product!

We’re about to head out this morning for some white water rafting and ziplining. Bring on the Class 4 and 5 rapids! I’m ready!

Before we  jetted off to Colorado, I made a lemonade from this recipe by Todd and Diane of White on Rice (with a few of my changes – minus the corn syrup in making the simple syrup and then I added fresh blueberries in the lemonade prior to serving), who will be teaching at the Food & Light photography workshop.

Have you taken any fun trips this summer? Paul and I will be traveling around the Denver area for the next week, starting off in Colorado Springs, then driving up to Rocky Mountain National Park, down to Boulder and then back to Denver. I’m practically giddy with joy!

As happy as I am to be on vacation, I prefer being near the ocean than being in the mountains.

This might have something to do with living in the Appalachian mountains for the first 18 years of my life and only visiting the beach once in those 18 years. Seriously.

Which do you prefer? Mountains or Oceans?

But, I’m not going to complain too much, it is beautiful out here! Have a wonderful weekend! I know I will!

1 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 30, 2011 at 8:33 am

You made it!!! I didnt know (pay attention obviously!) that you guys were going to be there this weekend! That’s awesome! I have my own post going out about it in about 8 hours :)

2 Melissa Crane July 30, 2011 at 8:25 pm

We did make it! Whew! And just came back to the hotel from rafting and zip lining – I’m exhausted.

Can’t wait till you’re here! Only a couple more days :)

3 Jan July 30, 2011 at 8:43 am

Just the opposite of you, I lived in Tampa, Florida for the first 26 years of my life and then moved to Boulder, CO. So I would have to say I prefer the mountains. The way the majestically crop up out of the earth. Just beautiful.

4 Melissa Crane July 30, 2011 at 8:27 pm

The mountains out here are gorgeous! We’re heading up to Estes Park tomorrow, and I’m so excited about that. I think I just love the ocean more because I love diving and for some reason, the ocean calms me :)

5 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 30, 2011 at 10:07 am

Your lemonade looks beautiful! Especially that last picture, oh my goodness. I love it. I bet it’s delicious too :D
Looks beautiful there in Colorado. I’ve lived both near the mountains and near the beach, and I really much prefer the mountains, although we have a great river and lake here so it’s kind of like both :D
I’m going to take you up on your awesome offer to do a little brainstorming so I’ll send you a quick email but I understand if you don’t get back to me :D Enjoy your vacation and workshop – it sounds great!

6 Melissa Crane July 30, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Thanks Heidi! The lemonade was oh, so yummy. I need to get a juicer so that I can make it more often, squeezing all those lemons can be a pain :)

I wish we had a river or a nearby lake in Atlanta! We’re basically landlocked – haha.

I’ll be on the lookout for your email! I’ll probably be away from my computer for most of next week, but I’ll get back to you as soon as possible :)

7 marla May 22, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Love the unique twist in this lemonade!

{ 2 trackbacks }