Green Melon Summer Smoothie | Sunrise Swims

by Melissa on August 29, 2011

For the past few weeks this has been my view during my early morning workouts.

The promise of this view of the sunrise while I get my swim workout in is enough to pry me out of my warm bed and into the cool water of the pool.

My feet have been bothering me since mid May because of poorly padded running shoes (I think), and I have developed a mild form of plantar fasciitis. In fact, the last time I really went for a run was the Peachtree Road Race back on July 4.

I’m not a runner by nature, so forcing myself to go for runs has always been a struggle. But swimming, ahh I love swimming. I was a competitive swimmer, very briefly, when I was in elementary through middle school and I think it just stuck – even after I quit to join the cross country team.

(Seriously? I have clearly always tried to make myself into something that I am not – a runner.)

Although I do love the effects of running, for me, it’s the quickest (and cheapest) way of getting in shape – fast. So after my feet heal, I’m sure I’ll be back to running again. But maybe I’ll set my sights on a triathlon. I’ve got the swimming and running parts down, next up: get a bike.

This melon smoothie is so light and fresh, and great for a post-workout snack. The honeydew melon and garden cucumbers just scream “summer” to me.

I can almost feel fall creeping up on us, and in my attempt to enjoy the tastes of summer for as long as possible, I bring you my green melon summer smoothie!

Green Melon Summer Smoothie
  • 1/2 cup garden cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon agave
  • 3-4 ice cubes
Instructions
  1. Blend all ingredients in a blender.
  2. Pour into a glass and enjoy!

1 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 29, 2011 at 2:44 pm

So pretty and i bet so refreshing!

2 Mercedes August 30, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I just bought some cucumber vodka….I know what I will be making at the lake cabin for Labor Day weekend!

3 Melissa Crane August 30, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Oh Mercedes, that sounds incredible! I may have to go find some cucumber vodka myself!

4 Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen August 30, 2011 at 6:38 pm

i love the color! And cucumber and honeydew are seriously the most refreshing things ever!

5 Melissa Crane August 30, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Thanks Adrianna! Cucumber and honeydew do make a great, refreshing combo :)

6 Dee D. August 30, 2011 at 6:56 pm

that looks, and sounds so refreshing, and it screams summer to me too haha :) i really love the color too, so pretty.

7 Melissa Crane August 30, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Thanks Dee! I love that the color turned out well, and it looks like a drink that you actually want to drink too! :)

8 Sam August 31, 2011 at 12:04 am

I feel like i NEED to make this. I bet it tastes so good. There are some cucumber melon lotions out there which smell amazing! It’s one of those smells thats good enough to eat, so happy to be able to now ;)

9 Catherine September 16, 2011 at 9:15 am

Great recipe. Good luck with the plantar fasciitis – I have it too, mildly, and what I find works best is lots of stretching throughout the day – calf stretches, hip flexor stretches. Another absolute lifesaver was a product called “Acu-ball mini” – I broke down and spent the $16 on it after spending lots of time rolling golf balls, tennis balls, and frozen water bottles under my feet. Good luck with your athletic endeavors!

10 Melissa September 27, 2011 at 9:38 am

Acu-ball mini – I’ll have to take a look at it. I can’t believe that my feet have been bothering me for this long!

{ 3 trackbacks }