Two years ago on August 8, 2009, I married my best friend on the most perfect wedding day ever.
Well, “most perfect” for me.
I found out later that you were busy throwing up in the men’s restroom right before the ceremony. If I knew that was the case, I wouldn’t have kissed you at the altar. Kidding!
It has been a wonderful two years. We moved out to the suburbs away from the city life that I so love. But in its place, we have a beautiful house with a huge backyard for our two wonderful
children dogs. I just look at how happy they are running and playing in their yard and I forgive you for moving us all the way out here.
We have traveled and gone on many new adventures in these two years, adventures that I would not have experienced if I wasn’t with you.
Disappointing, yes. But I am thankful that the ring was the only thing you lost. And not, say… your finger.
Two years down and many, many more to come.
For our wedding cake two years ago, we chose two different flavors for the layers. One was a yellow cake with pear icing, the other was carrot cake. While many carrot cake recipes call for either pecans or walnuts in the recipe, our cake used zucchini in the place of nuts.
For our first anniversary, we had the top of our wedding cake. For this anniversary, I made my version of the other flavor that was in our cake: carrot cake.
Instead of making a silly little carrot out of icing to decorate the top of the cupcakes, I found this great candied carrot idea by Cupcake Project. I loved out these candied carrot curls gave more height to the cupcakes, as well as a interesting sculptural texture for the photograph.
P.S. Two days left to enter my basil garden marker/spoon prop giveaway!
|Carrot Cupcakes with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting||
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pkg. (4 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1/8 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 oz. white chocolate, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, carrot, zucchini, pineapple, coconut and cranberries in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Mix the oil and butter together, until blended well.
- Add the oil and butter mixture to the large mixing bowl with the carrot mixture.
- Then add the eggs, one by one.
- Then add the flour to the mixture and mix until mixture is blended together.
- Divide the batter evenly among 12 cupcake liners in a cupcake pan.
- Bake the cupcakes in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For the icing, mix together the cream cheese, 1/8 unsalted butter, white chocolate, vanilla extract and powdered sugar.
- Let the cupcakes cool to room temperature, then ice with the while chocolate cream cheese frosting.
- Optional: Top the cupcakes with toasted shredded coconut and candied carrot curls