Fried Green Tomatoes with Gutherie’s Sauce {football fridays}

by Melissa on September 9, 2011

In the South, football is a religion.

I both look forward to and dread the fall season. Fall means cooler weather, which after the hot and humid Southern summers, feels glorious. It means the end of summer produce and the return of fall flavors: pumpkin muffins, butternut squash and apple pie.

But it also means football on Saturdays, every Saturday and all day on Saturdays.

I didn’t mind it so much last year, because although I graduated from Georgia Tech, my husband’s alma mater is Auburn University and since he’s much more of a football fan than I am, we follow Auburn football much more than Georgia Tech.

When my new food blogger friend, Regan, asked me if I would like join a blog hop dedicated to football tailgating food, I said “heck yeah!” Even though my husband will be glued to the TV for 12+ hours every Saturday, at least I will have fun recipes and good food to keep me company.

When I think of Southern food, the first thing that comes to mind: Fried Green Tomatoes.

Although fried green tomatoes are also be found in other parts of the US, the Southern version of the recipe calls for cornmeal to be used.

When thinking of a sauce to compliment the fried green tomatoes, I came across this blog post by Bo’s Bowl that suggested using Guthrie’s Sauce. If you aren’t familiar with the famous Guthrie’s sauce, it is a magnificent blend of mayo, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and lots of black pepper.

Guthrie’s Chicken is popular Southern fast food chain restaurant that specializes in chicken fingers. I was first introduced to this restaurant while tailgating before an Auburn football game. So, what would be more appropriate for this post?

Fried Green Tomatoes with Gutherie’s Sauce
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 clove garlic, diced
  • 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • Lots of black pepper
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
  2. Sprinkle salt on both sides of the tomato slices and set aside.
  3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the buttermilk and egg, and mix well.
  4. In another medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal pepper, sugar, paprika and cumin and mix well.
  5. Wipe off excess salt from the tomato slices.
  6. Dip each tomato slice, first into the buttermilk mixture and then into the flour mixture.
  7. Arrange the tomato slices on a pre-greased cookie sheet and bake for 15 min, then flip slices over and bake for 5 more minutes.
  8. Optional: For an extra crispy texture on the tomato slices, heat 3 tablespoons vegetable oil in a skillet over medium high heat and fry tomato slices about 30 seconds each side.
  9. For the Guthrie’s sauce, mix the mayonnaise, ketchup, garlic, Warcestershire sauce and black pepper together in a small bowl. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving, so that the flavors combine.

1 Denise September 10, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Those look so good. I soooooo love fried green tomatoes!!! All I need is a vegan replacement for the egg and buttermilk and then I’m golden.

2 Melissa September 10, 2011 at 3:42 pm

You can substitute any non-dairy milk for the buttermilk (ie. soy, rice). And you can try Ener-G Egg Replacer Powder for the egg, or a little bit of flaxmeal whisked with cold water.

That should work! Let me know if you make them and how they turn out.

3 Denise September 10, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Melissa! I’ll let you know how it turns out when I get around to making them.

4 liz September 12, 2011 at 5:50 pm

THANK YOU for the Guthrie’s sauce recipe. I am a UGA grad and have long since left the south and I haven’t thought about Guthrie’s in years! I am so excited. Man, I ate so many chicken boxes in Athens….I’m gonna go make some right now and dip something in it. Ha. Thank you :)

5 Melissa September 12, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Wow yes girl, go make some now! You don’t realize what you miss about the South once you leave, right? :) I always get a mad craving for sweet tea whenever we travel.

6 Stephanie@PlainChicken.com September 12, 2011 at 7:35 pm

What a great combination! I think I could eat anything with Guthrie’s sauce!!

7 Denise December 17, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Love love love fried green tomatoes. The sauce looks tasty too.

8 Denise December 17, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I still need to make these. I guess I need to see if the store has green tomatoes. This should be the season for them since it’s cool?

9 Melissa January 23, 2012 at 8:45 am

Ah! Totally just saw this comment just now. Did you ever make the fried green tomatoes? I’m not sure if the are in season or not, I would assume that they would be in season during the summer (tomato season).

10 Denise January 23, 2012 at 9:38 am

I sure did. The market had some green ones. I figured since tomatoes are out of season they should be green if they had any. My logic may be off, but hey, they had some. They turned out pretty good and the sauce was tasty too!

11 Abigail January 21, 2012 at 11:29 am

I love these fried green tomatoes and your sauce!! I tried fried green tomatoes several years ago and never had a recipe until now!! I made them shortly after finding your recipe and even my hubby liked them and he is not a big tomato eater. Thanks for sharing!!

12 Melissa January 23, 2012 at 8:45 am

Awesome! So glad that you and the hubby liked them.

My husband isn’t a big tomato eater either, but he does love some fried green tomatoes :)

13 Lana January 27, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I live in Toronto, Canada :/ We don’t get green tomatos in these here parts…What can I substitute them with?….Unless green tomatoes are just regular tomatoes but unriped? Lol why does that sound dumb? Honestly pardon my stupidity, but I am completely ignorant about American southern comfort food :(