Carrot Ginger Soup | Clean Food book

by Melissa on December 1, 2011

A few weeks ago, a friend introduced me to the Clean Food book, saying that as someone who eats mostly veggies, it is a book that I need to get my hands on. So I borrowed her copy and have fallen in love with the recipes that lie on the pages of this book.

After a short introduction section of how to eat in a “cleaner and healthier” way, the recipes in this book are organized by season with recipes for vegetable dishes, legumes, soups, desserts amongst other things.

As I flipped through the book, this carrot ginger soup for fall caught my eye. After seeing miso as one of the ingredients, I knew it had to be made.

clean food book Oh, and Santa, if you’re listening. Clean Food is on my Christmas list. Just sayin’.

Carrot Ginger soup (serves 4) – slightly adapted from Clean Food book
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (I used olive oil)
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
4 cups chopped carrots
1/2 cup rolled oates
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from one large orange)
vegetable stock
3 tablespoons white miso
chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Let’s Cook:
In a large pot over medium heat, saute onion and ginger in olive oil for 3 minutes. Add carrots, oats, orange juice and enough vegetable stock to cover carrots. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and let simmer until carrots are soft and tender (about 20 minutes). Turn off heat and puree with a handheld blender or pour mixture into a blender to puree.

In a small bowl, dissolve miso in 1/2 cup room temperature water and stir into soup.

If possible, prepare the soup a day before serving to allow flavors to blend. To serve, reheat the soup, garnish with parsley and enjoy.

1 Heidi @ Food Doodles December 1, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Beautiful! Love the vibrant colors in your picture. I don’t have much experience with miso and zero experience cooking with it myself but I’ve been curious about it for a while now. It’s interesting to see it in carrot soup!

2 Melissa December 2, 2011 at 8:59 am

The miso in this recipe really gives this soup that “extra kick.” It works really well, because of the ginger flavor too :)

3 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 1, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Great looking soup…so perfect for this time of year. Great pics, too…as always.

4 Melissa December 2, 2011 at 8:59 am

Thanks Averie!

5 Terry December 2, 2011 at 8:21 am

Melissa, your photography is beautiful and makes my soup look that much more mouthwatering! I think Santa may have just heard your wish, because I just announced a “Giving Thanks” giveaway celebrating our growing clean food community! Every Friday for the next 4 weeks I will be randomly drawing winners and giving away both of my cookbooks – CLEAN FOOD and CLEAN START – as well as a variety of clean living items. Definitely check it out and learn how to enter! http://www.terrywalters.net or at CLEAN FOOD on Facebook! Hope to see you there and wishing you continued success and nourishment from your clean food creations!

Terry

6 Melissa December 2, 2011 at 9:02 am

Wow, thanks Terry! I think your comment just made my day. Your book is a wonderful resource – and thanks Santa! I’m hopping on over to your blog, FB & Twitter right now :)

7 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. December 5, 2011 at 2:40 pm

omg this looks amazing

8 Pam December 11, 2011 at 12:40 pm

This sounds like a very intriguing little soup. I never would have thought of carrots for soup (other than a stew or something like that), but this really sounds wonderful for a cold winter’s day.

9 karmalily November 20, 2013 at 10:26 am

I made this for dinner over the weekend, and I’ve gotta say that it was delicious. I was battling the flu and wanted something healthy, warming, and gingery, and found this recipe through FoodGawker. The use of oats to thicken the soup is such a great idea! Also, I forgot to add the orange juice, but it still turned out fabulous! I’ll be making this at least once a week from now on, mainly because it’s affordable, healthy, and delicious. Thanks for a great recipe!

10 Melissa November 20, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed this soup! It’s one of my favorites, so simple and delicious.