With Spring and St. Patrick’s Day right around the corner, I felt that a springy-type of dessert was in order. These cupcakes were inspired by one of Paul’s favorite Starbucks drinks: Green Tea Lemonade. It was perfect because I’ve been wanting to make a dessert using the great matcha green tea powder that I’ve been holding on to.
The cupcakes were so easy to make, the cupcakes were adapted from Joy of Baking’s recipe, and the frosting is simple basic frosting with matcha added in. Peasy easy, just my type of recipe.
Photographing these little babies were such fun. The weather was wonderful this afternoon so I took the “set” outdoors for some shooting fun in the backyard.
And, of course, my trusty assistant was right by my side. I swear he’s a gourmand just like his momma.
Paul and I will be heading down to Orlando tomorrow for a fun weekend at Disney and FoodBlogForum. It’s been about five years since we last went to Disney World, so I’m pretty excited to see the parks again and see all the changes since the last time we were there!
|Green Tea Lemon Cupcakes||
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup Butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/8 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons Matcha green tea powder
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Add butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Then beat in the vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Then with the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Fill the muffin cups with batter, about 2/3 full. Bake for about 18 – 20 minutes or until the top of the cupcake turn golden brown and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- For the icing, beat the butter and whipping cream together with an electric mixer on high until well blended and fluffy. Then add the powdered sugar and continue beating the mixture with the mixer until well blended. Then add the Matcha powder and blend until the icing is consistent all the way through.
- Spread the green tea icing on top of each cupcake. Serve and enjoy!