But, not when the bananas start looking like this:
Paul mentioned that his mom would make banana bread for his family when they were kids. But hasn’t in a long time because the boys are all grown up. He kept going on and on about how he missed banana bread.
I can’t blame him, biting into a warm slice of banana bread with those gooey pockets of banana, oh yum.
So, to take pity on Paul’s rumbling tummy… and who am I kidding, I love baking. I whipped up a quick banana bread while Mini-me was taking her afternoon nap.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice, divided
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 ripe bananas, smashed
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt (or fat-free)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon allspice. Stir with a whisk to mix well.
- With a stand mixer, mix the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar on low speed until combined and creamy. Then add the bananas, yogurt and vanilla. Mix until mixture is well combined. Then add the eggs one at a time, mixing well in between additions.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture in three additions, pausing to let the flour mix until the wet ingredients. Once all the flour is added, mix the dough until just combined.
- Pour mixture into a buttered 5″x9″ loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove the bread from the pan.
- While the bread is cooling, prepare the glaze. Combine the 1 tsp cinnamon
- /4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp allspice and powdered sugar in a small mixing bowl and whisk to mix well. Add the water to the mixing bowl and whisk until the glaze is well blended. Drizzle over the bread.
- Slice, serve while warm and enjoy!