Pumpkin Butter with Cinnamon Cranberry Biscuits

by Melissa on October 4, 2011

The smell of fall spices brings childhood memories rushing back into my mind.

Even though I grew up in a Taiwanese family, I also grew up in a fairly rural part of Southwest Virginia, tucked away in the Appalachian Mountains. A close family friend, who was like a grandmother to me, would always cook a huge batch of apple butter every fall.

I remember visiting her at her house and watching her stir a huge cauldron full of the wonderful smells of apple butter brewing inside.

As a tribute to her, (and as a tribute to pumpkin season), I decided that we needed some pumpkin butter in the house.

Pumpkin butter is ridiculously easy to make, and even better when you use fresh homemade pumpkin puree. There is practically no excuse to not use homemade pumpkin puree right now, especially since pumpkins are plentiful and pumpkin puree is so easy to make.

This pumpkin butter goes wonderfully with toast, biscuits and pretty much any other bread item. And if you can’t help yourself, feel free to eat by the spoonful.

But, if you must have some bread to go with it, I chose to pair it with a cinnamon cranberry biscuit, because if you’re going for a fall inspired breakfast, you might as well go all the way!

Pumpkin Butter: (12 oz)
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 cup apple cider
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice

Let’s Cook:
Combing all ingredients in a saucepan, bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover the saucepan and let simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened, stir frequently. Remove from heat and place in storage containers. Refrigerate till use – good for up to 1 week.

Cinnamon Cranberry Biscuits: (8 biscuits) adapted from this recipe by All Recipes.
Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/3 cup cranberries
1/2 cup milk

Let’s Bake:
Preheat the oven to 425˚F. In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and stir just until moistened. Form dough into golf ball sized balls and place on a baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.

1 Rachel Taylor October 4, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I cannot get enough of your beautiful photography! I think your next project should be a book of food photography, I’d buy it :) Seriously, I love looking at your new photos.

2 Melissa October 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Wow, thanks Rachel! A food photography book would be amazing. Maybe someday :)

3 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 4, 2011 at 2:26 pm

It all looks so beautiful and tasty! :)

4 Melissa October 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Thanks Averie!

5 Anna October 4, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I normally make my pumpkin butter early, like the first week of October. I am a little late this season. The week is almost over and I don’t think I can stop and work on it anytime soon. Perhaps next week, better late than not at all. I’ll use your recipe. Thanks for posting.

6 Melissa October 7, 2011 at 12:40 pm

The good news is that pumpkin butter is really quick to make. Hope you get to have some soon! :)

7 Regan @ The Professional Palate October 4, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I love pumpkin butter, but have never made it. This makes me even all the more glad fall is here!

8 Melissa October 7, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Go get some pumpkin puree and make a batch :) It’s so easy! Loving this fall weather too!

9 Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen October 4, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Everybody’s been making biscuits. I should at least know what it tastes like. Mail me one… ):

10 Melissa October 7, 2011 at 12:42 pm

You look like quite the baker (via your blog)! Making a batch of biscuits should be a breeze for you :)

11 Russell at Chasing Delicious October 7, 2011 at 12:06 am

Yum! Pumpkin recipes make me happy. I love the idea of pairing pumpkin butter with cinnamon and cranberry biscuits. What an awesome flavor combo. I have a big batch of homemade pumpkin puree waiting to be used up in numerous things so I am definitely trying this.

12 Melissa October 7, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Ugh, I have a big batch of homemade pumpkin puree too! Trying to use up all of it and not get tired of eating pumpkin :)

13 Pam October 9, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I’ve always enjoyed apple butter, but never considered pumpkin butter. Very interesting notion. Thanks for sharing.

14 Angela Watts October 11, 2011 at 1:30 am

Mmmm, pumpkin butter. My only complaint is its not really cannable at home.

I pair mine with vanilla scones or a walnut cinnamon muffin.

Pumpkins have to wait til the apples are done. I’ve only bought a couple decorative ones so far.

15 Kaye October 11, 2011 at 11:42 am

Could it be canned if using a pressure cooker? I’ve never thought about making (or even eating) this until now, but YUM! I want it to last longer than a week….

16 Kaye October 11, 2011 at 11:45 am
17 Melissa October 11, 2011 at 11:47 am

Yeah :( But it looks like you can freeze it instead.

{ 3 trackbacks }